Saturday, May 17, 2014

Frozen Heart (Part 2): Conceal, Don't Feel

I'm sorry I cut the last post so abruptly.  There wasn't a really good stopping point.

Spoiler Alert: If you read any further, you may encounter spoilers to the plot of the movie "Frozen."  You have been warned!

As I stated in the last post, I heard the soundtrack before I saw the movie.  I had this idea of a connection to depression in my head while sitting in the theater.  What I saw did nothing to push the idea away.  In fact, it grew stronger.  Anyway, since the idea started with the music, I'm going to focus on the music here.

Do You Want To Build A Snowman?



In the film, Anna originally knew about Elsa's power, but after she got hurt by it, she was made to forget about the power.  But she still remembered having fun with her sister.  She can not understand why Elsa has shut herself away from her and everyone else.

In the same way, someone with depression often shuts themselves off from the world and those they love.  Often, they don't even realize they are doing it.  The healthy person keeps trying to have a relationship with the depressed person, but keeps getting the door shut in their face.

Also, we hear the first use of the phrase "Conceal it, Don't feel it, don't let it show."  This is quite close to things that depressed people hear quite often.  "If you just smile, you'll eventually feel happier.  Fake it until you make it.  Don't worry, be happy."  I've also heard "No one wants to be around someone who frowns all the time, so if you smile, you'll have more friends and be happier."  As if I had a choice.

The gloves that Elsa wears help her to hide her power.  In the same way, depressed people have a few things to help them to mask their symptoms.  Anti-depression drugs mask the feelings one has and makes it hard to tell what you are actually feeling.  Am I happy, sad, mad?  Don't know.  I felt like a zombie the entire time I was on the drugs.

For The First Time In Forever



Having been shut in the castle for a long period of time, Anna and Elsa have two opposite reactions on coronation day.  Anna is extremely excited and runs out to meet the people, while Elsa is nervous and keeps to herself.  Even when they are using the same words, they have differing meanings.  When they sing "It's only for today.  It's agony to wait." Anna means it's agony to stay inside, so she runs outside.  Elsa, on the other hand, means that she's in agony in going out.  She wants to do it, so she can get it over with.  Then she can once again lock herself away where her secret will stay safe.

This song continues the theme of the depressed person wanting to lock themselves out of the public eye, away from others.  They feel if they keep to themselves, they can't be hurt, or at least hurt worse than they already are.

Let It Go



Here's the song you were waiting for.  Everyone knows it, so I don't really have to go into it much.  Elsa's secret powers are known by the entire village, so she runs away, where she can live without having to keep that power in check.

This scene actually caused problems with my theory.  My first thought was that the song is in the wrong place.  It seems as if Elsa is singing about not having to worry about her problems any longer, as if the depressed person has gotten better.  In this case, shouldn't the song go at the end?

Then, I realized that Elsa is still isolating herself.  Nothing has really changed.  When I isolated myself, I felt as if nothing was wrong.  In my mind, life was going fine.  But, just as Elsa didn't know that her powers were freezing Arendale, I didn't know that I was hurting my family.

In Summer



How in the world am I going to connect this song with depression?  I'm not.  I just love this song.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment