Saturday, May 17, 2014

Fallen Robin

Recently, I lost my job.  Yes, your humble storyteller is unemployed.  I lost my job over a stupid mistake on my part.  I won't go into details, but I admit it was my fault.

So, being me, I've been depressed and angry about it.  I moped around for a few days, but eventually put on my big-boy pants and started doing what needs to be done.

During my "Mopey" period (sounds like a new Seven Dwarf), I was taking a walk and came across this guy.


It was a robin.  He was a fat little booger, but now he was gone.  I always feel sad whenever I see one of these guys on the ground.  I understand that life has a beginning and an end, but birds were meant to fly, to be free.

I usually don't stop when I see a dead bird, but something stopped me that day.  I had just lost my job that morning.  It was cold and rainy.  But I stopped.  And a thought appeared in my mind.  A couple of (unrelated) Bible verses  that I had read, many times, before, but now had personal meaning.

Matthew 10:29
"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father."
 Matthew 6:26
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?"
I have read these verses many times.  I believe I have even preached on them at one time or another.  But the meaning behind them finally hit me like a ton of bricks.

I went home.  Dried myself off and got to work looking for a job.  So now, even though I'm still unemployed, I'm not worried.  Things will work out for the best.


"Whatever you go through He's right beside you."

1 comment: