Thursday, May 1, 2014

Frozen Heart (Part 1): Do You Want To Build A Snowman?

I've been putting this post off for quite a while. This should actually have been one of my first posts, but I didn't want to finish. If you asked why I'd have to say it's because it was too personal and would tell too much about me. But recent events in my life have shown me that I need to get this out.

I'm a Disney freak. I admit it. My family knows it. They accept me for what I am.

I also have depression. I admit that, as well. My family knows it, too. The acceptance was harder to get, but eventually came.

Recently, Disney released Frozen. This has quickly become one of my favorite movies. I actually heard the soundtrack before I saw the movie, so I had the opportunity to learn the songs long before I went to the theater.  I realized that the movie, especially the songs, have a meaning that can be applied to the subject of depression.

Wait. You've seen Frozen, right?  You haven't?  Ok. Go get the Blu-Ray or DVD and watch it. I'll wait.

You're back?  Great!  Now, you paid attention to the lyrics to the songs, right?  No?  Go back and watch it again.

Ok. Ready?  Good.

Spoiler Alert: I mean it!  Go watch the movie before you read any further!

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with Disney or any of its subsidiaries. I'm just a huge fan. They don't pay me. Although if they wanted to reward me for my loyalty, I'm willing. Also, All characters from Frozen are owned by Disney. The ideas on depression discussed are mine, based on my own experiences. If anyone at Disney wishes to discuss this post, I'll be at Disney World in January. 


In my interpretation, the main character is Elsa, the Snow Queen. She represents someone with depression, represented by her power to freeze.  It is a power that she cannot control.


Then there is Anna, Elsa's little sister. She represents loved ones who are in the life of the depressed person and support them through their good and bad times.


Kristoff and Sven are friends of Anna.  They (along with the residents of the village of Arendale) represent others who are affected by the depression of the main character.


Hans is Anna's fiance.  He turns out to be the antagonist of the movie.  He represents those who claim to be friends, but use the depressed persons weaknesses against them.


Then there's Olaf, the snowman (obviously).  He is an innocent, completely childlike.  He represents unconditional love.  Just as the character is both an outsider yet made from Elsa's power, he represents love from those around the depressed person and the depressed person themselves.

I just wanted to introduce the characters before I got too far into the interpretations.  With this getting as long as it has, I believe I'll have to split this up into 3 parts.  Part 2 will be out very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment