Sunday, April 20, 2014

The War of the Grill

In my mind, it's mine. It's always been mine. I bought it at a garage sale. I took parts from others and pieced them together to make one good one.

I'm talking about my grill, of course.


It's a smallish gas grill. About three feet long by about a foot and a half wide. Not too big, it's just fine for me and my family.

Until the other day, there was no doubt that it was mine. It was lunchtime and I was in the kitchen, making a can of Spaghettios. Now, the grill sits on my deck, right off the kitchen. I happened to look out the window and saw a crow land on the grill cover, holding a piece of straw in its beak.

"No. It can't be doing what I think it's doing."

I stepped out on the deck and opened the grill.

Yep. It was doing just what I thought. There was a nest covering the entire grill area. It was huge! I don't know how long that bird had been building, but it had done quite a bit of work.

It had to go.

I picked up the nest (luckily there were no eggs yet) and threw it off the deck. I thought that it was over.

I was wrong.

The next day, I once again saw the bird.  Again, he had a piece of straw in his beak.

"No.  Not again!"

Yes.  Again, there was a nest.  Not quite as big (yet), but definitely there.  This time, I didn't bother to throw the nest away.  I turned on the gas, clicked a lighter and - poof - the nest crackled and burned away.  I saw the bird fly by.  I laughed at it and went back inside, believing the war had been won.

Sure.  Right.

This morning, guess who I saw.  He was back, this time with his mate.  They double teamed me.  My wife suggested that we just let them have the grill for the summer and we can just find another way to cook out.  NEVER!!!  Surrender is not a part of my vocabulary.

I'm not sure what my next move is going to be, but I'll think of something.  They say that crows are very smart and can even recognize humans and hold a grudge.  Bring it on.  The war is just beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't you ever see "The Birds"? Be very, very careful kiddo.

    ReplyDelete