Tuesday, November 11, 2014

1984

Recently, I was rereading George Orwell's classic 1984. I say rereading because it's not the first time I've read it. I don't remember how many times I've read it, but I do remember not reading it in school, when I was supposed to read it. Yep. I'm a scholar and a rebel.

Even if you've never read 1984, I'm sure you have heard something about it. Even if you only have heard the phrase "Big Brother is watching you". Basically, it's the story of one Winston Smith, a member of the Party living in London, Oceania. (Oceania consists of North and South America, England, Australia and part of Africa.). The Party (the government or Big Brother) controls every aspect of life. Citizens are continually watched. Even their very thoughts are monitored. Winston meets up with Julia, a girl in the Anti-Sex League and they both decide to join a movement against Big Brother. Antics ensue (and not funny antics).



This time while reading, I paid more attention to the technology behind the world Winston inhabits. I wondered how easy it would be (now 30 years after the books setting and 66 years after it was written) for the government to do the things mentioned in the book. 

Now, before I go on, I want it made known that I don't believe in conspiracy theories that the government is doing all these things. Anyway, this article isn't about whether or not it's truly doing these things, only if these things are possible. No conspiracies, only possibilities. 

Winston works in the Ministry of Truth, which is what could be called the media of Oceania. His job is to rewrite news articles which are found to be in error by the government. For example, at the beginning of the book, Oceania is at war with Eurasia and allied with Eastasia. During the story, the alliances change and Oceania is at war with Eastasia and allied with Eurasia. Winston's job is to rewrite every article and book written since the war began, changing "Eurasia" to "Eastasia" and vice versa. Then all "incorrect" copies of the books and newspapers are destroyed and reprinted with the "corrected" information. 

Would this be possible today?  The answer is turning more and more closer to yes every day. 

At one time, even during the writing of 1984, this would have been near impossible. It would have meant collecting and destroying every copy of every book ever printed, millions of books per year. However, with the invention of the e-book, it becomes much easier. Your average person does not have a physical copy of the book, just downloads the information, which is stored in a single computer server. That info can be easily edited, so that those who read it will download the updated, "correct" version. 

Another item I noticed was that citizens in Winston's world were under constant surveillance. There are cameras everywhere in his world. How about ours?  

It depends on where exactly you live.  In larger cities you're on camera quite often  I've recently read an article that states we are seen on camera more than 75 times per day.  And that was written 7 years ago.  I'm sure the number has risen since then.  There are cameras at street lights, on buildings, at ATM's, on buses, in taxis. Everywhere.

And those of us who live in smaller towns aren't safe from scrutiny either. The next time you're at the grocery store, look around at how many security cameras are attached to the ceiling. You may be surprised. 

Continuing with that idea, in Winston's apartment, he has what's called a telescreen. It's like a television, except it broadcasts, as well as receives signals. During morning exercises, Winston is yelled at by the instructor on screen because he isn't touching his toes. She sees him as well as he sees her. Do we have this?

Yes. We do. 

Sitting on top of my computer monitor, there is a camera, no larger than a postage stamp. While I have control of when that camera turns on, all one would have to do to control it would be to bypass my system firewall (which really isn't a difficult task).  Even my phone has a camera.  Two cameras, if you want to be specific: one in front and one in back.  If a government were to mandate that I give it control of my computer or my phone, they could very easily turn my webcam on and find out what I'm doing. (No one really wants to know that.)

I mean it.  You really don't.
I have one more item to mention.  However, it's not mentioned in the book, but I thought about this and I think it's worth mentioning here.  In the book, Winston and Julia leave the city and go out into the country in order to be able to get away from the all-seeing cameras and from having their every movement scrutinized.  Today, it's getting harder and harder to do that.

On my phone, I have an app I use when I run.  It tracks my movements and tells me, down to the closest meter (or yard for you American readers), where exactly on the planet I am.  If I can use this to find out where I am, I'm sure Winston's Big Brother would use this technology to track its Party members movements.
My latest run.

Again, I'm not writing all this in order to say "The Government's watching us!  We're living in the world of 1984!"  I'm just writing this as a thought exercise.  Could the world of 1984 be possible?  I think that's a strong YES.  We need not be worried about it, though.  Alert, but not worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment